Native British Flowers: Grow, Pick, Arrange Workshop
Cost:£125.00 per person
About this experience
Calling all gardeners, flower lovers and nature enthusiasts...
Join Jez Rose and Head Gardener, Sharon, as together they discuss and teach this hands-on, intensive gardening day.
"When we arrived at the farm just 18 months ago, there was little more than an acre of grass and concrete. In that short time we've created a rose walkway, vegetable and fruit garden, herb garden, jewel garden, woodland microclimate, cottage garden borders, purple border, white border, cut flower border, wild meadow orchard and magnolia courtyard, plus plenty of additional pocket patches for wildlife."
We've planted more than 1,000 Spring-flowering bulbs, 5 more apple trees, installed two living willow arches and sown 120 packets of bee-friendly flower seed.... not to mention the thousands of pollinator-friendly flowers and plants that arrived by the lorry load! The result is a space that is developing almost daily and which receives so many compliments from those attending our bee workshops and experience days.
We'll begin by taking you for a guided tour of the gardens to explain the planting schemes we have created for an almost entirely pollinator-friendly site and why considering pollinators, like the honeybee, are important in your own garden. The day begins at 10am and runs to approximately 3pm, here on our organic farm just 4 minutes from Market Deeping and 18 minutes from Peterborough train station in Lincolnshire.
You'll assist with some of the planting and get hands-on with different soil types to see how organic gardening has such a huge benefit to wildlife and the results of your gardening.
- discover simple ways to garden organically including easy ways to make leaf mould and speed up the composting process
- learn what "pollinator friendly" really means and what types of plants are ideal to use in your own outside space - you'll see how almost all of the best plants for show and colour are loved by bees and no doubt be surprised by some unusual ones, too!
- learn how to plant for reliable year-round interest and how to get Spring and Winter colour whilst providing critical pollen sources
- create your own pollinator-friendly planting plan
- we'll explain which are the bees' favourite plants based on current research and demonstrate how it's possible to combine flower, vegetable, fruit and herb planting to create wonderfully beneficial borders, pots and raised beds
- we grow many plants from seed and cuttings but some are brought in from local nurseries to help speed up the planting schemes and we'll be planting up the latest pollinator project with you
Your day includes unlimited organic, home grown and local refreshments and an organic pizza lunch cooked in our outdoor, wood-fired oven. You'll have plenty of opportunities.
OUR EXPERIENCE DAYS ARE ALL-INCLUSIVE:
We'll provide you with everything you need, including unlimited refreshments, lunch and garden tools. Bring a pair of wellies or sturdy boots and a pair of gardening gloves if you have a favourite pair you prefer to wear. You will be required to sign a declaration in order to partake in the day’s activities.
HELP US TO HELP THE ENVIRONMENT:
If you're able to use public transport (we're just 18 minutes from Peterborough and Stamford train stations), cycle or have an electric car, please do!