Near-Native British Mated Queens - 2020 Season (Blue)
Bees & Co. is home to the native British honeybee. Our mother stock is strong, native British (Amm).
As members of BIBBA (the Bee Improvement and Bee Breeders Association), we are keen to encourage beekeepers to use native stock, which has several benefits over commonly popular stock, such as Buckfast or Carniolan:
- Imported stocks increase biosecurity risks, which are of significant concern to organisations such as a DEFRA and the wider scientific community. We need to stop importing honeybees if we are going to positively support the environment and not be an active part of the problem.
- Native bees are by their very nature better adapted to geographical and environmental challenges. Lincolnshire, where are farm is based, is notoriously flat and exposed to winds and cold.
- Native British bees actively forage in cold and even wet weather.
- Near native bees involve less costs and are therefore cheaper, which can be especially useful when replacing a failing queen.
- We have used and handled Buckfast and Carniolan bees and while native and near-native bees are not as docile as Buckfast, we have not found them to be any more aggressive when handled calmly and properly.
Our Queens are sent to you in a queen cage with fresh fondant (with added amino acids and vitamins) and several attending workers.
If you would like your queen marked, please select this option. We do not clip queens under any circumstances.
We use Royal Mail First Class Signed For as standard to reduce stress on the bees and this is included in the price.
There is no VAT charged on livestock.
A limited number of queens are available each season and sold on a first come, first served basis.
Queens found deceased on arrival will be replaced at no charge, subject to availability, providing you immediately return the unopened cage. Queens will be replaced once only. If no further queens are available a full refund will be given.
There are a number challenges when re-queening honeybee colonies, especially in inclement weather. We cannot be held responsible for this.